Founded in 2005, LAXART is a platform for emerging and under-recognized talent, its mission has expanded to encompass thematic exhibitions that engage with key issues of our time. We are open Tuesday through Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and admission is free.
LAXART is accessible via street level and has an additional ramp entrance. We welcome service animals. You may call or email us with any accessibility questions or needs.
For more information, please call 323.871.4140 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are not accepting artist submissions at this time.
LAXART is a nonprofit visual art space that promotes developments in contemporary culture through exhibitions, publications, and public programs.
We believe that contemporary art is a means of understanding key issues of our time with all their inherent contradictions. Contemporary art assumes many forms. Rather than provide answers, it raises questions. Through a range of offerings, we contextualize contemporary art both socially and art historically. Our programs are free and designed to be accessible to the general public.
LAXART is Hiring
LAXART is seeking an experienced, full-time Chief Preparator/Exhibitions Manager to work closely with a small staff to produce and execute all aspects of the organization’s exhibitions, events, and daily operations.
This full time, exempt position includes health benefits and paid time off. Due to the nature of the position and its demands, the Chief Preparator/Exhibitions Manager will work on-site at LAXART three days a week during normal operating hours. During de/installation periods and in preparation for special events, the Chief Preparator/Exhibitions Manager will be expected to work 5-7 days a week (as needed and pre-arranged with the Director). Accordingly, the ideal candidate must be flexible and must demonstrate excellent communication skills.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate, oversee, and execute logistics of all exhibitions and events
- Manage and work alongside a team of PT preparators, including hiring and tracking of their hours
- Facilitate third party contractors, fabricators, and other outside services
- Coordinate and execute the packing, labeling, shipping, and local transport of art and exhibition materials; light use of a personal vehicle may be required (with mileage compensated)
- Monitoring and maintenance of all gallery spaces
- Procuring and managing supplies for facilities, daily operations, and special projects
- Managing inventories of equipment and art
- Undergraduate degree; practicing artists encouraged to apply
- Minimum of 3 years experience art handling in a gallery or museum
- Knowledge and application of art handling best practices
- Knowledge of and experience with AV setup
- Light construction abilities and know-how
- Self-motivated, positive attitude, and calm under pressure
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to be flexible and collaborative
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize a range of responsibilities and requests
Send resume and three references to email@example.com. We encourage interested candidates to apply as soon as possible. The position will remain open until filled.
Program & Curatorial Assistant:
Director of Development:
Deputy Director & Curator:
Board of Directors
Hamza Walker, Director
Charlie Pohlad, Chair
Jennifer Arceneaux, Co-Vice Chair
Michael Price, Co-Vice Chair
Kelsey Lee Offield
Lauri Firstenberg, Founder
Daniel Joseph Martinez